“Racism in all forms is abhorrent and must end. Black lives matter. Nashville Psychotherapy Institute stands alongside our black colleagues, clients and community members. NPI unequivocally denounces any form of police brutality and intimidation against Black people, and we especially denounce the murder of anyone in the custody of law enforcement personnel.
This national moment of reckoning invites white therapists to continue to do our own inner work in understanding our own biases. In this way, we can be a refuge in the office and in our daily lives, while also working toward dismantling all forms of oppression. We are also being called upon to do our part in listening to and raising up the voices of those who have been fighting for equity in our systems of power for far too long.”
NPI strives to cultivate platforms within our community for all races, religions, countries of origin, sexual orientations, genders, ages, and abilities. NPI welcomes and encourages ongoing discussion and feedback on how we can do this work most effectively. May all beings be free of suffering. ~ NPI Social Justice Committee
Below you will find a list of resources compiled for you by the NPI membership from a multitude of sites and sources.
Click on the Section Titles below to get more information.
RACE RELATIONS: Resource for listening, learning, supporting, and sharing
- Stop Hesitating: A Resource for Psychotherapists and Counselors
- The Psychology of Rioting (article):
- Role of Racial Profiling (article):
- APA condemns police brutality (article):
- 75 Things White People Can Do (article):
- If You Want to Learn About Anti-Racism, These 10 Books Are a Start:
- TNAPT RESPONSE TO RACIAL INJUSTICE & VIOLENCE: Click HERE
- Statement by Barack Obama:
- Statement by the American Psychological Association President:
- Statement of the American Psychiatric Association:
- Statement of the NASW:
Working with Children/Youth
- How to talk to kids about race (article):